Vermicompost, as the name suggests, is a process of turning organic waste into compost using worms. Vermicomposting is one of the most efficient ways to make use of your everyday waste and turn it into wonder manure that will turn your garden lush and green. Let us first discuss some of the advantages of making and using Vermicompost.
- Vermicompost is the storehouse of three essential micronutrients which act as a growth tonic for plants – Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium. Moreover, these nutrients are in a very readily available form and are released into the soil within a month of the application showing quick results.
- Vermicompost is completely organic with no harmful chemicals added to it.
- Synthetic fertilizers leech out of the soil and drain into the neighbouring water bodies due to surface run-offs, which causes severe water pollution. Vermicompost, on the other hand, does not get easily washed out of the soils as the worm mucus binds.
- Vermicompost is a flourishing micro biome and enriches the soil with tons of healthy bacteria, which, in turn, helps the plants to be more disease resistant.
- Vermicompost not only works on increasing the growth of your plants but also drastically improves the overall health of the plants making them super strong. Unfortunately, chemical fertilizers only focus on increasing the yield of the plant but nothing for its health, which, in turn, requires excessive use of pesticides.
- The use of chemical fertilizers over time builds up ammonia and salt in the soil, which is detrimental for plants and also brings down the fertility of the patch of land. In such a grave situation, using organic manure is the only way to bring back the soil to its original vitality.
- Vermicompost can hold up 9 times its weight in water. It is a saviour at the time of water shortage, which seems to be a never-ending problem the world is facing.
- Vermicompost is readily available online in stores like FOR GREEN FUTURE, so there is no excuse for you to be using the toxic chemical fertilizers.
Now that you are aware of the benefits of Vermicompost, let’s dive into how you can make it at your very own home.
Step 1: Prepare your compost bins. You will need two bins, one slightly smaller than the other. Drill holes into the small bin, so water can escape from it into the larger one easily. Make sure to put some spacer in between the two bins, so the water gets collected at the bottom.
If this seems like a bit too much of labour, then consider buying compost bins.
Step 2: Find the right spot for your worm bin. The area should be around 12.8 to 23.9 degree Celsius, so the worms stay cosy and comfortable. There is also a chance of a slight stench near the bin, so keep it in a place, which can conceal it or diminish it.
Step 3: Get the worms. You will need red wiggler worms and not earthworms for this project. You can get them quite easily from your local garden store or online. To lay the foundations of a good worm bin, you will need to have about .45 kg or 1000 worms for a steady start.
Step 4: Make nice bedding of about 8-inch height for the worms at the very bottom of your compost bin using old newspapers or cardboard shredded into small pieces. Moisten the shredded pieces with water and spread evenly inside the bin.
Step 5: Sprinkle a layer of pesticide-free soil on top of the bedding
Step 6: Collect kitchen waste like peels, rinds, cores, overripe fruits, leaves, coffee grounds, eggshells, dry leaves, flowers from your puja room, etc. You will need about .45 kg of this waste and spread it evenly over the layer of soil.
Step 7: Let the whole set up rest for at least 3 days to 2 weeks. This will start to disintegrate the waste into a yummy mush that worms simply love.
Step 8: Introduce the family of worms into the compost bin, and you are done creating your Vermicompost.
Step 9: Add ½ pound of food every day for every 1000 worms in the bin.
Step 10: Harvest your homemade, nutrient-rich manure after 6 months.
If you do not have enough space or time to make your own Vermicompost, then we recommend you to buy it from trustworthy brands like SARAYU.